Monday, February 15, 2010

ARE YOU LIVING YOUR DREAM?

How many of you have a dream? Almost everyone has a dream, but very few ever achieve it or realize it.

These were the words that John Maxwell asked yesterday at church, when he was talking about a book he wrote called, Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions That Will Help You See It and Seize It. These words left a residue in my heart. A couple years ago, I saw a documentary called, Born into Brothels that changed my life. Have you ever seen it? If not, I recommend that you watch it. This documentary shows how Zana Briski, a photographer based out of New York, use photography to impact the lives of several children that live in the Red Light District in Calcutta, India. Zana shows these children how to look at the world through the eyes of a camera. Zana gave each child a camera so she could teach them photography, and told them to take pictures of whatever they wanted. These children all have a special talent and take amazing pictures. She uses their pictures in a exhibit so that the children have a better chance in life besides living in the Red Light District.

One of my dreams is to start a non-profit organization like Kids with Cameras, in El Salvador. This little country in Central America has a special place in my heart and also happens to be where both of my parents are from. My parents came from El Salvador when they were young in hopes of a better future. I want to be able to take kids of the streets and show them that God loves them and has a plan for their lives. I know that this is not going to happen over night, but this is a dream that will one day come soon. In the meantime, I have decided to do whatever it takes to makes this dream into a reality.

3 comments:

  1. You go girl! Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms 1 Peter 4:10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl. I was so nervous when I was writing this and had knots in my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evelyn,

    That sounds like a fabulous dream....best of luck achieving it! You CAN do it.

    ReplyDelete